Saturday 1 June 2013

Soundtrack Of My Life

I tend to remember life events based on what albums I had bought at that time, what lyrics I kept running through my head and what songs were playing at that exact moment. I love buying new music for specific events, because whenever I listen to those albums or songs later on, I will always remember detailed moments from the exciting times in my life.

This was definitely true the moment I met Garth. It's funny how being in love heightens everything. I can't seem to remember where I put my keys or to call someone back, but I remember vivid details of an event that happened years ago just by listening to a song that was playing at that exact moment.

Music is kind of magical that way isn't it?

The Soundtrack of my Life (Well, at least since I met Garth!) :


February 2011

He is We - Happily Ever After: Our first date was to the Sweetheart's Dance (February 11), this was the first "slow"song that came on while we were there and I got super excited because I had been listening to this band for years. We grabbed each others hands and ran to the dance floor. I will never forget that night, I felt happy and comfortable around this boy that I barely knew. I felt a sense of excitement that I had seriously been missing for years.

He is We- All About Us: When I first heard this song, I knew I had to find a boy to sing it with. Garth was in my institute class and when I found out he could sing, I pretty much forced him to come over to my house and sing this song with me. We spent hours in my basement practising and singing this song together.



Peter Katz- More Nights: On our "I Hate Valentines Day" party, we spent the night with my roommates heart attacking people's houses. He then asked me if I wanted to go for a walk and gave me this album. On our walk, he made up some ridiculously complicated story that tricked me into holding his hand(ya right, I knew what he was up to) and later that night (after midnight) he asked me to be his girlfriend.


Guster- Dear Valentine: Reminds me of a very special night on the couch, he just held me and sang to me for hours. I remember feeling so content with life and knew that I had never been happier than I was at that moment.

DeathCab- Transatlanticism: Driving back from Calgary after meeting my parents for the first time, I started crying the moment we drove away because I already missed them. He held my hand and sang this song as it came on. That was the moment I started falling in love with him.


Dan Black- UN: This album was on repeat during the two months that we were dating. It reminds me of rainy sidewalks, downtown lethbridge, Garth's profile while he drives (dang sexy), feelings of confusion, letting go and resolution. Falling in love is magical.

Alkaline Trio- This Addiction: Driving in the car, windows down, music blasting, singing at the top of our lungs.

April 2011

DeathCab- Passenger Seat: We made a habit of going to my practice room at the University of Lethbridge to play piano together. I had no idea, but apparently after we met, Garth decided to learn this song on Piano and sing it to me. I of course melted into a pile of mush. He told me it was my turn to play so I sat down, turned around and Garth was on one knee.



Summer 2011

Hayden- Middle of July: This song is one of my favourites. The lyrics are so simple and sweet that it's brilliant. I love listening to Garth sing it the most, it was kind of perfect for our summer romance. It reminds me of sunsets, mosquitoes, the smell of grass, lying on top of the car looking up at the stars, camping... everything about our summer.



Owl City- All Things Bright and Beautiful: The best thing that can happen is have your favourite artist release an album where every single song makes you forget about reality completely. I will never forget the summer of 2011 when Adam Young made me happier then he ever has before. (Especially because his next album completely blew haha)


Meghan Smith- Cricket Orchestra: This album reminds me of sitting in Garth's basement on his laptop planning our honeymoon together. We seriously had the best honeymoon and I loved how Garth took the reigns in planning it.

Our Wedding

Owl City- Honey and the Bee: We thought it was the perfect song for our wedding slide show because we listened to it all summer that it eventually became one of "our songs". It is such a cute duet.


He is We- All About Us: As mentioned before, we spent hours singing this song together. It made perfect sense that we dance to it at our wedding. I have a lot of memories related to this song but one of my favourites was when we went to a dance instructors house and she choreographed our first dance. We had so much fun dancing together all the time, practicing for our much anticipated wedding day! Our first dance went perfectly and I will never forget that experience.



Honeymoon

Ellie Goulding- Lights
The Civil Wars- Barton Hallow
Kings of Convenience- Declaration of Dependence

These albums remind me of beautiful Kelowna in the summer time. Whether we were driving through downtown Kelowna at night or by the beautiful vineyards and water, or watching the sunsets from our balcony, we were always listening to one of these three albums. 





Fall 2011- Spring 2012

When I think of the fall, I think of Garth and I in our first little home together. I think of Jack's Mannequin, Fountains of Wayne, Stars (of course), Nathan and Patrick Park. Garth would constantly sing songs off these albums to me.When I think of John Mayer, I think of those morning drives to work at Huckvale. When I would come home after long days of work at the law office, Garth would sing the song "Hey Julie" by Fountains of Wayne. Even though I hated working there and felt so sick all of the time, whenever I heard that song, I knew everything was going to be okay.

Peter Katz - Still Mind Still: This album reminds me of my very first show opening up for Canadian Singer-songwriter, Peter Katz. Not only did I get to play my music for people (for the very fist time!), I got to hear some of these wonderful songs of this album for the first time. It was such an amazing experience and really helped me realize that this is what I want to do. I want to sing and play songs for people. I want my music to make people happy. Although I have taken a bit of a hiatus, releasing and playing music is my ultimate goal that I am excited to work on in the upcoming months and years!



Summer 2012

Taylor Swift Speak Now: Every morning on the way to work. Taylor swift. Every. single. morning. The guys just love her haha. ( I mean, who wouldn't? She's adorable.)

The Maine - Pioneer: Soundtrack of my summer. Mikayla, Erica and I went to see the Maine live on their Pioneer tour! I had only seen the Maine live once before this when they released their first album and this time they were obviously WAY BETTER! Seriously my favorite band.




Summer 2013


Hayden- Us Alone
Brighten- Peace & Quiet
Mumford and Sons- Babel
Of Monsters and Men- My Head is an Animal
Lana Del Rey- Born to Die
Stars- The North


Because both Garth and I relate to life through music, we knew that once our baby was born we were going to want to buy some albums that we didn't have, that we could listen to during the first months of his life.  When I listen to these albums, I will remember bringing Grant home from the hospital, leisurely walks with him in his stroller, his adorable smiles and coos, and the faces he makes when he sleeps. I will probably remember lots of crying, laughing and the way he looks at me like he somehow knows he is safe with me. Whatever I remember, I know I will remember it vividly.

-A



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the page and lay out of your blog and the writing made me cry. I miss you guys. I'm so glad Garth has you and now we have Grant:)

    ReplyDelete